NEW SOUTH WALES STATE WINNER
2016 Australian Award for Excellence in Women’s Leadership.
Layne Beachley AO is widely regarded as the most successful female surfer in history. The only surfer, male or female, to claim six consecutive world titles (1998-2003). Layne then went on to win a 7th world title in 2006 before retiring from the ASP World Tour in 2008.
On Australia Day 2015, Layne was awarded with an Officer of the Order of Australia for her distinguished service to the community through support for a wide range of charitable organisations, as a mentor for women in sport and as a world champion surfer.
Layne achieved yet another first in Australian sport by becoming Surfing Australia's new Chairperson in the latter part of 2015. She is the first former female World Champion of any sport to take on the role in a National Sporting organisation.
Layne is also the proud Founder and Director of her own charity, the Layne Beachley Foundation, Aim For The Stars, empowering and enabling young girls and women to invest in their future, fulfill their potential and to put back into the community that supported them on their journey.
Awards of Note
- Australian Sports Medal recipient
- 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Australian Surfing Life Magazine Surfer of the year
- 2000, 2002, 2003 New South Wales Sportsperson of the Year
- 2001 ESPN Surfer of the year
- 2002 Runner-Up Australian Sports Star of the year
- 2003 Australian Female Athlete of the year
- 2003, 2004 USA Surfer Magazine Female Surfer of the Year
- 2004 Laureus World Alternative Sportsperson
- 2004 Australia’s 50 Most Beautiful Exports honors list
- 2005 USA Teen Choice Awards; Extreme Female Athlete of the Year
- 2006 Surfing Hall of Fame Inductee
- 2006 USA Surfers’ Hall of Fame Inductee
- 2006 USA Surfers’ Walk of Fame Inductee
- 2009 NSW Woman of the Year; Finalist
- 2009 NSW Australian of the Year; Finalist
- 2010 Rolex Sydney to Hobart Runner Up
- 2011 NSW Hall Of Champions Inductee
- 2011 Sport Australia Hall Of Fame Inductee
- 2011 ISA World Masters Champion
- 2012 Athlete Liaison Officer, London Olympic Games
- 2012 NSW Masters Champion
- 2013 ISA World Masters Champion
- 2015 Officer Of The Order Of Australia
Her exploits are astounding, her attitude unwavering and her achievements inspirational.
Layne Beachley AO
Founder, The Layne Beachley Aim for the Stars Foundation